Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Labe Market

The 8 hour car ride from Conakry to Labe was full of beautiful green hillsides with little villages scattered throughout. I got to sit in the front seat which made traveling a lot easier. I did not even get a hint of car sickness even though the roads were narrow and curvy. Thank goodness!

The past couple of days have been filled with errands.

I spent a whole morning getting a bank account. We had to get photocopies of our ID's, get two photos taken, and then wait our turn for the one bank employer who opens new accounts to help us. One must have a lot of patience for life in Guinea as well as a friendly smile. Thankfully I brought a book Nickle and Dimed (I recommend this book. It is exactly what I went through working at the bakery in Seattle and the temp agency in Alabama.) and brought a friendly patient attitude that made us a new friend as we learned that the bank employer was from Foricarriah, the place where we did our Peace Corps training.

I have spent two days in the amazing market full of wonderful things and wonderful people. It is a narrow maze of fresh produce, housewares, colorful fabric, hardware, school supplies. Once you find your way out you are once again a bit lost but finding the HUGE mosque up on the hill gives you back your bearings.

We carry our backpacks in front like we are pregnant women. We are easy to spot targets for those who would love to lighten our loads.

The exchange rate is 6000 GF to 1 US dollar. I will be given approximately 100 US dollars a month which is enough to feed and cloth me in Guinea. Plus we got about 150 US dollars for move in expenses.

What did I buy?

spaghetti 3,000 GF
spam 7,000 GF
powdered milk 16,000 GF
oats 12,000 GF
spreadable soft cheese 7,000 GF
chocolate wafer cookies 5,000 GF
French baguette 1,000 GF
5 oranges 1,000 GF
soy sauce 10,000 GF
white beans (2 kg) 6,000 GF
lentils (2 kg) 6,000 GF
yellow split peas (2 kg) 6,000 GF
50 kg rice 125,000 GF

tie dyed bedsheets 55,000 GF
3 locks 30,000 GF
3 beads 200 GF
nylon string 7,500 GF
gas tank 350,000 GF
10 candles 2,300 GF
school supplies 93,000 GF
bar of laundry soap 800 GF
4 meters of soft cloth 20,000 GF
prayer mat 48,000 GF
metal trunk 45,000 GF

The Labe market is nice because there are no cars inside. The problem is the outside of the market where cars and motorcycles threaten your safety at all times.

I like this market. People are friendly and are always willing to help. They always love it when you speak Pular. It gives me a great incentive to learn the local language.

I will soon be in my village where the once a week market in the 5 km away city will be my new shopping grounds. Fresh produce and freshly prepared rice and sauce will keep me healhty along with the bike ride up and down the hills between my village and the market.

I won't be back in the big city of Labe for a while. School starts soon and I'll leave my site maybe once a month. Look for a blog update after Halloween.

No comments: