Wednesday, March 28, 2007

H2O

Monday 26 March 2007

Even though I have been swimming before I could walk, I have always felt much closer to earth enjoying the ground under my running feet, mud pies, clay at the bottom of a pond, the sound of gravel under my bike’s wheel, my bed inside a tent, worms hiding in the soil.

Now don’t misunderstand me.
I love drinking water.

It is my preferred beverage; however, I am a solid type of person rather than a flowy one, a person who loves to be grounded.

Water however has taken on a whole new perspective here in Africa.

My house is full of water: a large clay pot, three buckets, 2 bidons, and a huge garbage can. My water girl got over-zealous at $0.20 a bidon transporting 8 bidons of water today from the well. She wants to buy an expensive store-bought jean outfit for $10, to get dressed up for Easter.

Water is hard work here in my new village.

I have a new-found appreciation as I can down a liter and a half in 2 minutes, can take 3 bucket baths a day, and tend to drink at least 10 liters a day and still feel thirsty.

Water, more precious than the gold in the nearby mine.

No comments: