Friday, March 13, 2009

Tired of Chinese Food

Chinese food is so delicious and I am TIRED of it. My vocabulary is not big enough to get a good variety of food.

The campus is surrounded by the same types of food: various types of noodles, dumplings, and vegetable sandwiches. If I go to a restaurant that serves dishes, my vocabulary is limited to a variety of vegetables, the green ones, potatoes, and eggplant.

Thank goodness I am learning how to speak more Chinese or else I would never eat again. Can you believe that someone who had a 2 year diet of spaghetti and cans of tomato paste along with the bland local food in Africa would complain about Chinese food?

I have recently learned how to order
cucumber pork soup
sweet and sour pork
pork that comes with pancakes to make "burritos"
a crepe like tortilla fried with eggs and filled with lettuce and carrots.

I am eating again.

Plus I got my gas tank refilled and made a pork and green vegetable soup. Yum.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Ahhhh! I am in Shanghai, and while I can definitely get plenty of Western food, the area where I work during the week often means Chinese food for lunch and often dinner. So far I've only learned to say chao mein, chao fan, chao me fen, mein tang, mapo tofu, and then of course the bao.zi, jiao.zi......meats.....

So the last few days I've started to get sick of Chinese food, and I really don't want to! I just don't know how to order enough!

How do you say sweet & sour pork, and the pork with the pancakes, & the crepe tortilla w/ eggs/lettuce/carrots in pinyin?