Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Wacky Colors

Using a simple sock pattern by Kim Goddard, I have wiped out my yarn stash except for two balls of beautiful Noro sent to me by a friend and 8 balls of blue to be made into a sweater.

Knitting fair isle socks makes for some crazy looking socks, socks that you would never ever see in a department store. I love how they fit though and how they are super warm. I love knitting them.

But they sure are a bit wacky.

I am not sure I like knitting fair isle because after finishing the toe, I have to turn the sock inside out and sew 30 freaking yarn ends. That is annoying. Experienced knitters, any advice? Do I just have to suck it up or is there a secret shortcut? Help me out.

1 comment:

Kim Goddard said...

Good grief, I can't believe that pattern is still out there! I must have written it ten years ago at least :) Glad it's been useful!

As far as Fair Isle - um, I don't knit stripes for exactly that reason. Although, when I am forced to do so, I weave the yarn ends in for 8-10 stitches before and after the colour change (as though I am carrying the yarn for 2-handed Fair Isle, but before it actually enters the pattern, if that makes snse?) and then all I have to do is trim them later.

Cheers,
Kim
still socking away in Canada!