Wednesday, November 16, 2011

How are you doing Jen?

It has taken several months to adapt to my whacky schedule and I am not even sure if I have adjusted because it is always changing.  I wonder how people who have rolling schedules where sometimes they work a night shift and other times work a day shift manage their exhaustion from not having a regular working habit.
 
Why is my schedule whacky?
 
Well my teaching schedule is not the same each week.  Some weeks I teach 7 classes.  Other weeks I teach 5 classes. 
 
My position at the PC office is not the same each week. Some weeks I go in on Mondays.  Other weeks I go in on Thursdays.  Plus I am available at any other time when I might be needed for example weekends and evenings.  I think I probably each month have only one weekend totally free from responsibility.
 
Otherwise I'm adjusting and am pretty happy. 
 
I enjoy my bike commute. 
 
I enjoy office hours, one on one time with the students.
 
I enjoy supporting Volunteers and PC staff.
 
I went on a day trip to an old town and a Great Wall of Chengdu with the tourism students who were practicing being tour guides.
 
I was requested the day before the actual performance to prepare something for the Freshmen welcome party.  My first idea was to teach an English song, but then I remembered that I have been practicing Kungfu for three years.  I could do that, so I spent a day and a half reviewing and received cheers at the evening performance full of bubbles and smoke that the President of the school actually attended.  It was a semi-big deal.
 
I am busy. 
 
Any lows?
 
Sometimes I feel guilty that I choose alone time over putting forth more time and effort towards community integration, language learning and secondary projects, but I try to keep telling myself that I have two jobs, teaching and the PCVL position.  I need my alone time too.
 
Grading mid-terms... I strongly dislike grading.

No comments: