Sunday, July 15, 2007

Writing

Saturday July 7

My writing has taken a hit.

Africa, life au village, provided the perfect writing environment to write in my journal, to write letters, blogs, and even various essays about love and relationships.

village
my perfect writing environment
solitary
quiet
lacking electricity and distraction
endless hours of
me and my pen


But with the arrival of Damon, a boyfriend, my writing has taken a hit. Having a 24 hour companion to take vacations to Banfora, Burkina Faso and to Ghana to experience new African sites and sounds put a stop sign on my writing.

But that is okay.

I've had fun travelling around. I don't like travelling probably due to my lifetime of car sickness. Without a companion I probably would have stayed put in my comfortable safe surroundings of village. I prefer the familiarity of having adapted and been accepted to a new culture rather than the stress of new money, of a maze of a new city, of drowning in a new language.

As a tourist, a new country, a new city, a new village, is not fun for me. Having a companion made it easier.

I love exploring new cultures as a long-term participant rather than a hello goodbye tourist.

No comments: