Friday, August 21, 2009

Home Sweet Home

After 42 days of being on the road and living out of a backpack that could fit under the seat of a bus or train, I am back to the comforts of my tiny traditional Gansu city. As soon as I stepped off the bus, the cold air and drizzle of winter hit me. I guess I will have to put away all of my newly bought ethnic summer skirts, dresses, and tank tops purchased from the muggy south.

Now though I can put on a kettle of hot water, turn on the DVD player and watch whatever I want, Blood: The Last Vampire is first on my list. Now I can surf the internet as long as I want without having to be quick because of the waiting line of foreigners. Now I can wake up as early as I want without bothering the people I am sharing a hostel room with as I climb down the wobbly ladder of a bunk bed. I sometimes got up at 5 am to take a walk in the morning air escaping from the heat. Now I can finally use facebook, blogger, and youtube. If you want to find out how, find a way to contact me.

Top Three Things About Being Home

1. Living in the comforts of familiarity

Traveling, I am always on the border of "being lost." It is an adventure exploring a city for one's needs and desires, but it is nice to be back to a place where I know how to do things.

2. My flat

I love my apartment, the conveniences of it and the solitude in it. Plus, I have a ton of unread books about topics I like to read about like gender, alternative relationships, and other issues that cannot be discussed freely in my traditional city. Lucky for me a good friend who I met in Guinea sent me a heavy birthday present.

3. Knitting

With the cold weather fast approaching, I finally can take out my knitting needles again, finish halfway done projects and start new ones. A PCV who recently COS'd left me yarn and Caitlin's mother left me a gift of yarn, requesting I try to knit a sweater.

Bottom Three Things About Being Home

1. Noodles

Even with 42 days away from noodles, I am still tired of noodles. Down South, in Kaifeng and even in Tianshui they had the best street food and savory rice dishes.

2. Housework

I need to do laundry, fix my sofa, and probably dust and mop the floor.

3. No more clothes shopping

After traveling, I have realized that my city has hugely overpriced clothes! It was fun shopping in the bigger cities because items were so cheap. My city doesn't have a train station; therefore, the expensive cost of transportation is included in the prices.

As you may have noticed I haven't mentioned anything about students or being back at school. Well school hasn't started yet and won't until the first of September. Also, I might not start till the end of September since Freshmen have to do military training. Students and teaching are not on my mind yet. I am still on summer holiday. Soon though back to the grindstone....

No comments: