Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Conakry is Very Different than Village

Labe to Conakry was 9 hours and five minutes in an uneventful taxi ride: no flat tires, no hit cows, no accidents, no vomiting, no drunk falling asleep chauffeur, no near misses with other cars. We listened to music from all over West Africa and even listened to some American music. We stopped at vulture city where we bought street food for lunch. I had a baguette with unidentified meat. We stopped at 14 h at a mosque so everyone could pray. We got through the various checkpoints without much hassle.

The exciting part of the trip was being left in the middle of Conakry to find my way to the Peace Corps house. People are helpful though and directed me to the various four door squish four in the back and two in the front taxis that are like buses letting people out and picking people up.

The Conakry house was quiet. I arrived just as everyone, about 40 volunteers who came down for Thanksgiving, left. That was nice. At least I got a bed, a clean living area, and quiet conversations in the living room with the few people who were in Conakry for various reasons, sickness or work.

Today I spent ALL day at the bank and in downtown Conakry. We get paid every three months and have to go to the bank to get our money.

I feel like I am in a different century. The lines are long. All transactions need to be processed by at least 3-4 people. You go to one counter to get your account balance. Our accounts were empty. The night before we had heard that the check had been sent to the bank. The money just hadn't been distributed to our personal accounts. Come back in an hour was their response.

We went across the street and had an expensive pastry that cost a buck. Bucks go a long long way in this country, to splurge a buck on a pastry is a luxurious thing to do. But it sure was tasty! It had raisins. Raisins. Do I even remember what they taste like?

When we returned to the bank, our money was still not available. We waited. We went to a back office where a man with a powerful signature finally told us we had money. Well everyone had money except me. I was a complicated situation. More on that later.

The next step is to stand in line at one of the two tellers. She types some things in a computer and then tells you to wait. Paperwork is sent to the man with the powerful signature. Then someone else runs the paper somewhere and you sit waiting and waiting till the huge stacks of bills finally come out. People took out 2 million Guinean francs and were given it in bills of 5000 Guinean Francs. We need book bags and suitcases to carry out our money!

We had gotten there at 9 am and it took till 13 h to get any money.

It took me even longer. I had several months ago closed my Conakry account and moved it to Labe thinking I was never going to Conakry. Well that decision has made my ability to get money complicated. I was told to come back at 15 h.

What did I do for two hours in the middle of the city? I went and had an expensive Chinese meal, fried rice and green beans, with watermelon for dessert. It cost $3.66. You may think wow that is cheap, but it is not. I can get a meal of rice and sauce or a taxi ride for $0.33. You can get a nice tailored made outfit for $3 that includes the labor and the fabric or shoes for $1. So $3 thrown away for a meal is not cheap. I live on $5 a week au village.

After eating, I wandered the city trying not to be bothered by the constant attention of vendors trying to get my attention to buy worthless sunglasses, books on Guinea, watches, perfume, asking if I am married.

I ate some ice cream. I am definitely living the rich life, gelatto, three flavors for a buck.

I spent 3 hours at the bank waiting for the money that was deposited in my Conakry account- which I had supposedly closed- to be transferred to my Labe account. The paperwork had to go through 4 different hands. The man with the powerful signature was very nice though and made sure, double checked that my money had made it into the Labe account.

Today's task was to get money, and it was a full day's work.

The next adventure was figuring out how to get back to the Peace Corps house which is about 15 miles from downtown.

I stood on a corner with a bunch of other people. Everyone was waving their hands in various ways, some with one finger, another with a thumb, another with a hand, others with a peace sign. Taxis drivers were waving their hands in various ways too. No nice lighted signs telling you were each taxis was going. Lucky for me some guys helped me out and told me to get into that cab. I hopped in and off were were to Tayouh hopefully, picking up and letting out passengers all along the way. It was a long ride, but I recognized various landmarks so I knew I was going in the right direction and finally ended up back in my neighborhood.

I bought watermelon and pineapple. I will have a sweet breakfast tomorrow.

Life in the city is definitely way different than life au village!

Tonight if I want, I can even watch a movie in the Peace Corps house or bake cookies in the gas oven or do internet all night if I want.

Send me a question and I might blog about it or send you a personal response.

No comments: