Thursday, November 30, 2006

I am a Gatherer

For my meals in Conakry I walk the streets of the market scavenging for goodies, carrying a tuperware to fill. Each woman stands by her table, a covered bowl hiding its inner goodies, a pot of oil sitting on a small wood charcoal stove.

For breakfast I found a woman serving black eyed peas mixed with fish and oil spread upon bread. I didn't want the bread. She filled a little plastic baggy full of beans for me. I found another woman serving some brown stuff on a baguette. I got some and then had another fill the bread with meat, mayo, piment, and raw onions. It was good.

For lunch, I ate a pineapple.

For dinner, I found fried potates (not potatoes, sweeter), fried plantains, keke (shredded dried cassava somehow rehydrated), fried banana balls, and meat on a stick. I also bought tomatoes, buillon cubes, onions, garlic, tomato paste, and dried tomato powder so I can fix a spaghetti sauce for breakfast tomorrow.

Tomorrow I am hoping to find fofo, a glutinous mound of gooey manioc, kind of like grits, but thicker, more like playdough. I like it. It is yummy. Many Americans don't like it though.

I also hope to find my favorite, fried cassava balls. They taste like tater tots and this country doesn't have any type of chips. A can of Pringles cost $3.50. There is no way I am spending 20000 FG to fill my desire for salty goodness.

This country is definitely lacking snack food, snack food packaged in plastic that is. This country just doesn't mass produce any of its own goods, except maybe sacs of water and bottled water.

Coming to Conakry, I tend to eat a bit unhealthy. It is okay. At site I eat pretty healthy; although I tend to use a lot of oil. I think I crave calories, crave food that isn't just fresh veggies.

As much as I love eating in Guinea, I do miss sushi, chocolate chip cookies, and ice cream.

No comments: