Friday, November 10, 2006

A declaration of love

5 November 2006

Oh how I love you with your daily habitual idiosyncrasies:

In the mornings you smell the sweetest, and during the heating direct sunlight of the day you come alive.

The fragile wispy winged things sit unmoving upon your walls. Our pet spider, your interior decorator greets me by the inner latch as I enter and lock your door.

Hello it says. How do you like how I have adorned her today. We'll get rid of her bug problem, one day.

In the afternoon's hottest sun one large lizard the length of my forearm with its partner the length of my hand makes it scurrying daily appearance upon the wall as I approach for my after school visit.

It is when the sun just sets, that I avoid her. She becomes loud with the buzzing of mosquitoes who attack my headlamp lighted face. Our 3 resident cockroaches come out for the cool evening air. She is most unpleasant and I prefer her dark than bright, but maybe not really. I can hear all the unseen moving things.

It is in the middle of the night that I again approach her only if I can see the face in the moon, night turned to daylight leaving the door wide in the sleeping village.

Oh how I do really love you.
You are more interesting more alive than any American born flushing one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI: http://www.tofriendsandfamily.glogspot.com/
is NOT THE SITE I WAS HOPEING TO GET TO!!

Anonymous said...

Dr. Jen,

It was a pleasure to read some of your experiences. I am a friend and prayer partner of your parents and wanted you to know we are praying for you and your work.

May your Christmas in Guinea be filled with blessings.

Sincerely,
DF