Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Blow to my Writing Self-esteem

After tonight's creative writing club meeting, I have realized that I am a writer limited by my lack of vocabulary, lack of creativity, and lack of descriptive detailed images. I write not because I am good at it, but because I want someone to hear me. I just don't want to force anyone to listen. So I vomit my thoughts onto the paper and let you choose if you want to read it or not.

Is writing like drawing? Can it get better with practice and persistence? I have been writing a blog since 2001. I have posted a total of 1066 posts which is probably around a half million words. Unlike my drawing ability, I cannot see any improvement in my writing. How discouraging! What can I do?

Actually now that I think about it I believe the reason that I am feeling a bit blue about my writing is because of the fear of having to choose one of my written passages to put into a book. Having my writing judged feels scary and my self-esteem takes a hit.

No comments: