Monday, June 21, 2010

What did you worry about?

While in the USA, waiting for my departure to West Africa to arrive, the questions running through my head were as follows:

1. Have I packed the right stuff?
2. How will the next two years change me?
3. Will I be up for the challenges?

While in Africa, waiting for my departure to China to arrive, the questions running through my head were as follows:

1. Will I like living with a fridge, a microwave, a computer, a washing machine?
2. Will the university be disappointed if they get me, a Chinese American rather than a blond American?

While here in China, waiting for my departure back to the states for a one month home leave to arrive, the questions running through my head are as follows:

1. Will I be able to ride a bike everywhere and not drive anywhere?
2. Will I be able to restrain myself from buying a bunch of graphic novels and other specialty novels?
3. Will I spend all of my PC readjustment money on breakfast, steaks, ice cream, ham and cheese, sushi, Indian food, and coffee shops?

If there are any future PC volunteers waiting for their departure to China reading my blog, what are the questions running through your head?

or

If there are any PCVs reading my blog, what kind of questions ran through your head before departure?

4 comments:

Alicia Sartori said...

The biggest question running through my head, with a week to go before staging, is "What if I hate it?"

This stems from, what is I can't learn Chinese? what if I'm a terrible teacher? what if I get so homesick I actually have to quit?

I tell myself it is needless worry... but it stills nags me.

王美安 said...

*smile* Soon you will know the answers to your questions. One more week and you will be here. Awesome. Welcome to China, a place of friendships, joys, and sometimes frustrations, but finding something that you love about China helps during those times of stress.

mosiah montoya said...

Before departing to Guatemala, I asked myself

Will I be able to go from working in oil to teaching kids? (Yes)
Will there be electricity? (Yes)
Will it really be cold? (Yes)
Will I be able to change my community? (To be determined)

Before departing to China

Will I be able to learn Mandarin? (TBD)
Will teaching university students be rewarding as rewarding as doing HIV/AIDS education? (Yes, but for a very different reason)
Will I be able to only stay a year and feel as though I have accomplished all that I wanted to? (No.)

PS I love reading your blog

mosiah montoya said...

Before departing to Guatemala, I asked myself

Will I be able to go from working in oil to teaching kids? (Yes)
Will there be electricity? (Yes)
Will it really be cold? (Yes)
Will I be able to change my community? (To be determined)

Before departing to China

Will I be able to learn Mandarin? (TBD)
Will teaching university students be rewarding as rewarding as doing HIV/AIDS education? (Yes, but for a very different reason)
Will I be able to only stay a year and feel as though I have accomplished all that I wanted to? (No.)

ps I love reading your blog.